Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Spring (Weekend) Has Sprung

While it’s only Tuesday, Spring Weekend 2016 has officially started at Fordham. Spring Weekend, for those who don’t know, is an annual tradition on campus where the Campus Activities Board (otherwise known as CAB) packs the week with exciting events. The events lead up to the highlight of Spring Weekend, the concert on the Martyr’s Court lawn.

Tonight’s event was a part of the American Age Lecture Series, and for this, a guest speaker is invited to campus. Last year I really enjoyed listening to Brandon Stanton from Humans of New York speak, but I was even more excited to hear Shawn Johnson speak today. Shawn Johnson is a former gymnast who won four medals, including a gold medal, in the 2008 Beijing Olympics.


My attempt at getting a picture of my middle school-era idol.

The 2008 Olympics were the first Olympic Games I got interested in, and part of the reason behind that was the women’s gymnastics team. I even ran a small Shawn Johnson fan club at my school after that summer, so it was an amazing experience to get to hear her speak.

One of the many things I enjoy about Fordham is the number of guest speakers that are invited to present on campus. In addition to popular bloggers and athletes, I’ve had the opportunity to listen to everyone from CEOs to actors to spiritual leaders, and each is as inspiring as the next. Tonight's event was no exception, but I also can't wait to see what the rest of the week has in store for the campus!

No comments:

Post a Comment