Thursday, March 31, 2016

Taking the Road Less Traveled: From Business to Theology


Union Theological Seminary
As a graduating senior in the Gabelli School of Business, I have to say that one of the aspects of the Fordham experience that I most appreciated was the required Liberal Arts Core. When I first arrived at Fordham, I had some vague ideas about what I wanted to do with my life, but going through the Liberal Arts Core definitely helped me to refine my interests and discover a new path that I am thrilled to say I am following after graduation in May. 

For business students, the Liberal Arts core includes classes in theology, philosophy, history, fine arts, English, math, economics, and statistics. All of these courses have challenged me to think critically, thinking in new ways and taking in different perspectives. Fordham students have very different interests and intended paths, which allows for vibrant discussion in the classroom, especially in these core classes that draw together students from all majors and backgrounds. 

As I went through my major classes and my core classes, I began to realize that the classes that I loved the most and most captured my fascination were my theology classes. Despite having no prior interest in pursuing anything related to theology, my theology core classes led me to declare a theology minor. However, this minor was not enough to satisfy my intellectual curiosity, so I took many courses past my minor requirements and ultimately decided to apply to Graduate programs. 

As I applied to top Graduate programs for theology, I will admit that I was very skeptical that I would be accepted or receive very much scholarship assistance because of my business background in undergrad. However, when I heard back from the schools to which I applied, I was thrilled to discover that I had been accepted to every program and that I received generous scholarships. When I expressed my surprise to one admissions counselor, she told me that it was my strong foundation in the Liberal Arts in conjunction with my business degree which made me such a fascinating and strong candidate for that school’s program. 
Vanderbilt Divinity School

Although I will be going to Grad School in the fall to study the Hebrew Bible, I am excited to use my business background as well. Whether I end up in a classroom or working for a non-profit, I am happy that I chose to study business, but extremely thankful that the Fordham Liberal Arts Core exposed me to courses that I likely would have never considered taking had they not been required.

No comments:

Post a Comment