Monday, April 20, 2015

WFUV at SXSW

My badge, which I had to wear around
for access to many of the events!
During my sophomore year, I started working in the engineering department as a videographer, editor, & photographer at Fordham's radio station, WFUV.  This has, without a doubt, been one of my favorite parts of my time at Fordham, as I have learned a great deal and had some amazing experiences.  One of those took place this past March, when I traveled to Texas to work on FUV's video team at South by Southwest.

Each year, FUV sends members of its staff to Austin, Texas for South by Southwest (SXSW), an annual music conference/festival for emerging artists (as well as more established performers).  This year, I was lucky enough to spend my spring break as part of the team's video crew.

On two days, we worked from Hotel San Jose, filming exclusive performances with artists for our YouTube channel.  Natalie Prass, BØRNS, Seinabo Sey, Gengahr, Ibeyi, Ben Ottewell, and Heartless Bastards all came by to perform stripped back versions of their songs.  We scouted the property for visually interesting locations, working against some rainy weather and making quick location changes between artists.

Here's BORNS' performance of "10,000 Emerald Pools":

Our schedule for the
Public Radio Day Stage



Friday was spent in the Austin Convention Center (out of the rain!) at the Radio Day Stage for Public Radio Rocks, which featured six performances for a live audience and to be broadcast live on WFUV (as well as several other public radio stations around the country).  It was cool to see all the work that went into putting on such an event, as well as the actual execution of the six-hour event.

We spent the first half of the day filming each of these performances and the second half editing them so they could be published on YouTube.  It was a huge team effort to get everything shot, imported, edited, and uploaded within such a short amount of time!





Above is: "Heaven Sent"- a new song from Best Coast and one of our finished products from the Day Stage!

Despite the long days spent shooting videos and editing them, it was a great way to work on my video skills and learn more!  Attending SXSW with FUV was an awesome experience that I was so grateful to have during my time here at Fordham!

No comments:

Post a Comment