Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Senior Spotlight: Maureen McKenna

     Name: Maureen McKenna        
     Hometown: Parlin, NJ
     Major: Psychology, Sociology minor
     Graduation date: May 2015

     Why did you choose Fordham?
Fordham was the first school I fell in love with because it was so beautiful! As soon as I stepped onto the campus my junior year of high school I knew this was where I wanted to be. Fordham reminded me so much of home and I love that I am so close to the city! There are definitely so many opportunities available here because of the location.

     What clubs/organizations/internships have you been involved in? What has been your favorite experience?
      I am a member of the Varsity Swim Team where I have competed for the last 4 years. Since I am going into education, I have also been able to do a lot of volunteer experiences at different schools throughout the city. I have been a volunteer for Jumpstart for 2 years which is one of my favorite things to do. Jumpstart is a non-profit organization that partners with preschools in low income areas and trains college students to help children prepare for kindergarten. Twice a week for 2 hours each day my team and I go into the preschool classroom and read to the students, assist them with their writing skills, and do a bunch of other fun activities. It is so rewarding seeing how much we can impact the lives of the students! In addition to Jumpstart, I have also volunteered at PS 205, PS 54, Harry Gordon School, and the Bronx Charter School which are all in walking distance from Rose Hill. Currently, I volunteer at the Rebecca School for students with special needs in Manhattan. I love that I have been able to volunteer in a variety of different schools because it is really fascinating to see how their learning experiences differ from my own. It is always nice to be able to help children who need the most support.

     What do you think is the best resource available to students on campus?
      The Dorothy Day Center for Service and Justice- I have found so many opportunities to become involved in the community, especially in the field of education.

     What is your favorite personal memory at Fordham?
I don’t think I have any specific memories, but I always love when my friends and I explore the city. We always try to go to the city on the weekends to eat, shop, or just walk around. The city is the perfect get-away from school work and there is always something new to do!

     Where is your favorite place to hang out at Fordham or in NYC?
Any restaurant on Arthur Ave! There is so much delicious Italian food around here!

     What are your plans/goals/aspirations for post-graduation?
     I am enrolled in the 5-Year Education Track at Fordham so this year I was able to integrate 4 graduate level courses into my schedule. I will finish next year at Lincoln Center with my Masters in Elementary Education and Special Education. Hopefully after next year I will be teaching somewhere in the city! 

No comments:

Post a Comment