Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Why I Became a Fordham Ram


1. Strong Academic Reputation

One of the reasons why I chose Fordham is that I knew I would be challenged academically. Fordham offers a high-quality education no matter what you come here to study, and it keeps improving: the University moved up in the 2014 U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges rankings to 57th for national universities and the Gabelli School of Business moved up to the No. 38 spot in the 2014 Bloomberg Businessweek ranking of U.S. undergraduate business schools. In addition, the core curriculum has allowed me to explore my strengths, weaknesses, interests and dislikes. My core classes have been some of the most intellectually stimulating classes I’ve taken while at Fordham.
 
St. Ignatius statue and Hughes Hall,
home of the Gabelli School of Business
2. Jesuit Tradition

Having attended a Catholic high school, I was interested in attending a Jesuit university because of the Jesuit tradition's strong values. The Jesuit philosophies of cura personalis (“care for the whole person”) and homines pro aliis (“men and women for others”) resonate heavily throughout the Fordham community. Over the last three years at Fordham, I have interacted with professors and administrators who truly care about my potential as both a scholar and a person. Fordham has not only prepared me for a career, but for life. When it comes to the philosophy of “men and women for others,” Fordham offers many community service clubs and volunteer activities. This philosophy is even evident in the way students always hold the door open for one another on campus.

3. Perfect Size

I wanted a school that wasn’t too big but also wasn’t too small. At Fordham, I love how I am able to walk to my classes and always run into familiar faces but, at the same time, I feel that I am constantly meeting new people around campus. The small class size, usually around 25 students, creates an intimate classroom setting. My professors able to know me on a more personal level and my relationships with my peers have lasted beyond the semester and turned into friendships.

4. The Best of Both Worlds

I wanted a campus but also a city nearby. If playing Frisbee on Eddie’s lawn, eating delicious Italian food from Arthur Avenue (“The Little Italy of the Bronx”), spending a day for free in the New York Botanical Garden, or seeing polar bears at the Bronx Zoo aren’t enough for you, New York City is also right in our backyard. New York City provides endless cultural experiences, internship opportunities and so much more.

5. Diversity

I wanted a school that was diverse. At Fordham, I have met people from all across the United States and the globe. While we recognize and appreciate our differences, we also embrace our many similarities.

For those of you who are Admitted Students, I wish you the best of luck with your decision and I hope you choose to join our Fordham “Ramily” this fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment