Monday, March 31, 2014

Major Spotlight: English

Before coming to Fordham I didn’t know what I wanted to major in, and the fact that I had to take a somewhat extensive core made me nervous. It is the core, though, that helped me realize what my passions are and what I’m good at. 

I always grappled with the idea, but my courses here in literature and composition reinforced my idea that English was the right major for me. The skills that an English major will give you in knowing how to read and write effectively and analytically are so valuable in today’s ever changing market and society. You can obtain all sorts of different and varying careers from being an English major, from business to teaching to journalism to law, etc. It’s such a strong department here at Fordham!

The classes you can take as an English major are super interesting and while I’m still finishing up my core I can’t wait to take them! Some courses that spoke to me that I can’t wait to take are Charles Dickens, Modernism & Cinema, Poetry Writing: The Poet’s Craft, and American Writers in Paris. As an English major here, you are required to take 5 elective classes, a couple classes in theory, and classes in historical distribution. 

The English department always hosts super interesting speakers, authors, and poets, which give great insight to what people are doing with their English degrees. On top of that, English majors here at Fordham have interned at places such as The New York Times, Rolling Stone, MTV, Simon & Schuster, and Harper Collins. 

If you love reading, writing, or simply just learning how to think critically, you should consider majoring in English! Fordham has a great program here and I have had nothing short of amazing experiences with the English classes that I have taken here thus far. 



No comments:

Post a Comment