Sunday, September 22, 2013

Freshman Dorm Profile: Queen's Court Edition

Queen's Court is the best place to live as a freshman.

Few will tell you this, especially if they never lived there. They might tell you about the "Queen's stereotype" -- that Queen's kids are studious and straight-edge homebodies -- but even they do so with a glint in their eye. They know that's not the whole story. It's not even a quarter of the story.

Queen's Court is the wellness housing for freshmen who apply and promise to maintain drug- and alcohol-free lifestyles. You can see why stereotypes might develop from this. But the people I found at Queen's were among the nicest, most diverse kids I met at Fordham. During my freshman year, at least, Queen's Court housed musicians, taekwondo-ers, poetry slammers, baseball buffs, stand-up comics, and artists of all kinds. 

Best of all, we got to learn these things about each other through Knight Court. This program assigns each person a time slot during the year in which they will give a 5 to 10 minute presentation on literally anything they want to share about themselves, or anything they find interesting. We were only asked to attend twice a week (there were two presentations a night from Monday through Thursday), but some students actually attended more often. 

I chose a double in Queen's as my first choice on the housing application. Sure, I was attracted by the amenities -- the possibility of a private bathroom, extra-large room, or walk-in closet thrilled me, and no other residence hall has a study lounge as beautiful or as Hogwarts-like as Bishop's Lounge -- but I also thought I'd find like people at Queen's Court. And I did. I befriended many of the girls on my floor (shout-out to John's 3rd!), and we still hang out now that we all live in O'Hare.

One of the best parts of Queen's for me, though, was my room. As someone who tried to find photos of Fordham dorms online before freshman year started, I know that they're scarce. I hope you find these photos helpful! You can click each one for a larger view.





There weren't any outlets in this little nook by the front door, so I turned it into a vanity/coatroom space.
Christmas lights = cheap, pretty, and great for mood lighting!



A bit blurry, but it's the only photo I took that encompassed my roommate's side of the room! Our room had tons of natural light.

Unfortunately I don't have a photo of our walk-in closet--only a photo of the closet door. The closet was incredibly spacious. We had more room than we knew what to do with!

We had a great view of the Queen's Court courtyard--and also a perfect spot for spying on the many weddings that occurred at the University Church right next door!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved my Queens Ct dorm room. I loved the history of it and the location on campus. I can see my room in the photo above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of well done and executed articles are here for sure keep up this great act dear author.
    21 seater minibus hire in chennai
    tempo travels in chennai

    ReplyDelete