Sunday, November 11, 2012

Residential Life at Rose Hill


           Residential Life can seem like an overwhelming process, but at Fordham the housing process is straight forward. Fordham guarantees housing for all 4 years. For freshman, the housing process begins over the summer. Each freshman fills out a survey that asks about interests, living habits, and freshman dorm preferences. Most freshman dorms have communal bathrooms (except for 1 wing of Queen’s Court, which has private bathrooms). Floors that have communal bathrooms are single sex. As an upperclassman, the housing process is completed during the spring semester and done completely online. Living situations are also done by lottery in grade order, starting with rising seniors.
My freshman year I lived in a double in Martyr’s Court Goupil with a communal bathroom down the hall. To be honest, I wasn’t overly excited to be living in a dorm with communal bathrooms. However, a communal bathroom turned out to be a blessing in disguise. As strange as it may sound, you meet people in the bathroom! I knew almost all the girls on my floor because I had seen and talked to them while brushing my teeth or blow-drying my hair in the bathroom. As a sophomore, I live in the West Wing Integrated Learning community in O’Hare Residential College (which houses approximately 550 sophomores). I really enjoy living in an Integrated Learning Community (ILC), which is a group of students that work on projects and/or schoolwork while living together on the same floor. I have gotten to know a lot of people on my floor during many of our ILC events, including watching the presidential debates and working on our floor service project. On Election Night, our RA sponsored a program that provided free Metro-North transportation to Grand Central, where we walked to Democracy Plaza (Rockefeller Center) to watch the election results. Programs in every dorm are numerous and diverse. They’re a great way to get to know your classmates while doing something fun!
Take a look at the Residential Life webpage to see the different Residence Halls and Integrated Learning Communities at Fordham!
 

 
O'Hare Residential College (my Residence Hall!) (picture courtesy of fordham.edu) 

No comments:

Post a Comment